It is a known fact that tooth decay starts early. If you are not taking care of your kid’s teeth, then there is a good chance that they will start decaying long before the age of five. The question isn’t whether or not your child will have cavities, but rather when and how many.
In this article, we will talk about some early warning signs of tooth decay and prevention tips for parents. So, let’s get started.
Here are a few of the symptoms of tooth decay:
- Bad breath: If your child’s mouth smells bad and has a slimy film, then they may have tooth decay.
- Red or swollen cheeks: There may be other methods to explain this, but it might mean that there is an infection developing and the possibility of cavities.
- Tooth Sensitivity: If your child starts to experience discomfort or pain when drinking cold liquids, brushing their teeth, or eating something sweet, then there is a good chance that they have cavities.
- Visible holes and cracks in the teeth: As the decay progresses, you will start to see holes that appear are visible.
- Stains: If your child’s teeth have a brown, gray, or black tint, they may be suffering from tooth decay.
The most common reasons for tooth decay can be the following:
- Plaque attacks: This is one of the most common causes of tooth decay, especially if it isn’t taken care of.
- Sugary snacks: Those sugary snacks are not only bad for your teeth but also cause cavities to form and other problems in your mouth like plaque and gingivitis.
- Bad oral hygiene practices: This includes not brushing your teeth or flossing.
- Excessive fluoride intake: Fluoride can cause tooth decay if taken in excess amounts, but it can also be beneficial when used properly.
Here are a few tips on how to prevent tooth decay from forming in children early on:
Avoid giving sugary treats when possible, but if you give them one, try to give it after their teeth are brushed. Also, limit sports drinks as much as possible since they can be harmful to children’s teeth even though necessary during intense physical activity.
Feeding kids-only water or milk will reduce the chance of developing tooth decay. There won’t be any added sugars from fruit juices or other artificial sweetened beverages.
It is important to go to the dentist so they can check your child’s teeth. They will also provide them with fluoride treatments or even a dental sealant that protects their teeth from decaying and getting cavities for up to ten years.
Instead of giving kids sugary treats, give them healthier alternatives like apples, bananas, carrots, and broccoli that are all good choices instead because they help protect teeth against tooth decay.
Limiting between-meal snack time is another way to reduce tooth decay in children since it reduces how much sugar there is in their diet overall while also reducing plaque buildup on the surface of their enamel.
Use toothpaste that contains fluoride to strengthen the teeth and prevent cavities from forming.
The more fun your child has when brushing their teeth, the better they will likely do with it, so try making up a game or putting on some music while you do it together.
Visiting your dentist regularly for checkups can help them determine if there are any signs of early decay in children’s teeth before they become serious problems. They should also advise how best to clean young kids’ teeth properly without harming them too much.
Moreover, teach your kids to brush and floss properly. This way they can have healthy teeth for years to come.
If you notice any of the following warning signs or symptoms when looking at your child’s or teen’s teeth, then it is time to take them to a dentist:
- Sensitivity in their mouth when eating cold items like ice cream.
- Tooth pain and discomfort while chewing on something hard such as gum.
- Unexplained toothaches don’t go away after several days, even if they continue brushing and flossing regularly.
- If this happens, then make sure you schedule an appointment with the best pediatric dentist in Dubai.
Dr. Yasmin is the best pediatric dentist in Dubai for children of all ages. She will make sure to provide your child with exceptional dental care at an affordable price.
No matter if your little one is facing tooth decay or any other dental issues, Dr. Yasmin is here to help. She also provides kids with fluoride treatments and sealants. Hence, their teeth stay protected from tooth decay, cavities, plaque buildup, and other oral problems.
Make an appointment today!