How to prepare for the corona virus:
Be aware of the symptoms which range from mild to severe, including fever, dry cough and shortness of breath. These may appear 2-14 days after exposure according to the CDC. Initial symptoms can be similar to those of the common cold and flu. If you notice any of these you should seek medical help.
How Does Coronavirus Spread?
Coronavirus occurs when an infected person sneezes or coughs, sending droplets containing the virus to a person nearby. It can also spread when a person touches a surface with these droplets on it and then touches his/her eyes, nose or mouth.
What symptoms can children expect, if they become sick?
They are likely to experience fever, cold and flu-like symptoms, cough, and poor appetite.
What precautions can kids and families take to stay healthy?
Good hand washing, sanitizing your hands frequently and disinfecting surfaces. Follow respiratory etiquette and cover your nose and mouth while coughing or sneezing using a tissue. Avoid touching your face, eyes, nose, or mouth. Avoid close contact with others, especially outside of your household. This includes shaking hands, hugging and kissing. Stay home if you are not feeling well and follow your doctor’s instructions.
What should I do if my child is sick and has a fever?
If your child looks sick and has a fever you should take them to your paediatrician. Paediatricians are not allowed to do any Coronavirus tests, however statistically most children with fevers these days will end up not having corona. Within minutes, your paediatrician will know if the fever is caused by flu or strep throat for example and they will prescribe the proper treatment before there are any further complications.
Should I take my child straight to hospital if he/she has a fever?
Parents should take their children to their paediatrician first if they just have a fever rather than hospital, as they may be exposed to more viruses at hospital. Better to take them to their private paediatrician as he/she will decide whether the child should be hospitalised or not.
How to talk to your kids about Coronavirus:
Get yourself prepared first with all the facts from a trustworthy source. Then decide how much you want to tell your child based on their age and without scaring them.
If my child is not feeling well should I just take him to our pediatrician?
Better to call the clinic first
- To make sure he/she is actually at the clinic and you don’t have a wasted journey. Clinic timings have changed and many are running to a different schedule.
- So that the clinic and pediatrician are well prepared before your arrival as children with fevers are taken to a specific area.
- If you are not sure reach out to your pediatrician / clinic so they can advise whether to bring your child in. For example if the fever is suspected to be related to flu or strep throat they should be checked and treated immediately.
- When the pediatrician finds the cause of the fever, many parents are relieved when it’s not Coronavirus.
- If your child has fever we dont recommend you see our Pediatric Dentist. If the dental work is non essential we recommend postponing it until your child is feeling better.
- Sometimes dental infection can decrease the immunity of your child, that is why we recommend seeing a dentist for children or the best pediatric dentist in Dubai for all your child’s dental health care needs. Remember a simple check up in time prevents major infection later on.
The following information is a Q&A done with Dr. Medhat Abu-Shaaban , the pediatrician and medical director of myPediaclinic (@myPediaclinic). You can contact the clinic on 0547188123
Do get in touch with your questions and share with us your experience.“To a lifetime of healthy happy smiles!”So don’t delay your child his first Pediatric dentist visit, at our pediatric dentistry clinic in Dubai health care city you can schedule an appointment, we will be happy to give you your child the best dental care.“To a lifetime of healthy happy smiles!”