It is back to school season in Dubai and I am sure you have a long to-do list of everything your children need to start this new school year, from new shoes and backpack to pencil cases and uniforms. But here is my question: Have you made a to-do list of what is required to give them a healthy smile this year? According to the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry (AAPD): today’s kids miss over 51 million school hours due to dental issues and tooth ache!
Don’t you think these warrants to stop and think for a moment?
Think about it: if a child is in pain? Will they be able to pay attention in school?
If a child has black teeth will kids want to socialize with him or her? Unfortunately, bullying is on the rise especially due to black teeth!
If they need to be taken at the dentist- won’t that lead to loss of a school day and a day off for mom and dad.
The problem is: tooth decay affects a child’s life in more ways than we can imagine or want!
Act now: before going back to school….please book for his visit with a Pediatric Dentist for a routine dental exam and a clean plus fluoride. This will ensure healthy pearly whites for the entire school year.
What to expect at the dentist
When taking your child for their back to school Dentist check up your pediatric dentist will thoroughly check your child’s teeth and read on to know what to expect at the visit.
1-Overall Dental Health Checkup: This includes different and quit important examination on teeth and gums. The dentist will check how the teeth are growing and she will check the shape of your lovely child’s bite. The dentist will also check for the signs of future problems that might need orthodontics.
2-Dental X-rays: The X-ray will show how healthy the teeth roots are and is there are any tooth decay as dental decay can happen very quickly and its best to detect them as soon as possible.
3-Dental Hygiene: This is a great opportunity for your child’s teeth to have a professional cleaning and also to check if your child’s mouth hygiene and general oral health has been up to the standard.
4-Mouthguards and Other Protective Gear: If your child is going to take part in school’s sport activities, inform your pediatric dentist to give your child a mouth guard or suggest other protective gears.
5-Cavities & Sealants: Your dentist is going to look for any cavities to be removed in time before they become a serious issue and if needed sealants might be added to protect your child’s teeth.
6- Broken Tooth & Chips: Accidents happen and kids are prone to having a broken tooth or a chipped tooth. If your wondering what should I do if my child broke a tooth? Please read this blog about the topic.
- Changing tooth brush: A new school year calls for a new tooth brush, doesn’t it? The American Dental Association guidelines recommend to replace brushes every three to four months, or when their bristles wear out. I suggest that you take your child to store with you and ask them to choose a new brush according to their liking. Involving them in the selection proves will encourage to use brush their teeth twice a day and feel good about it.
- Creating a Routine: To celebrate back to school in style- it’s time to let go of the summer vibes and to create a routine for your little ones to take better care of their teeth. Resume the brushing twice a day habit. There are so many ways to make brushing a fun experience. For more information read this blog: https://www.dryasmin.ae/news/child-doesnt-let-brush-teeth/
- Schedule your back to school visit with your favorite Pediatric Dentist: It will be a quick check up, perhaps an x-ray or two if indicated, a quick clean, fluoride and voila….all clear and ready to smile.
- Healthy Lunch box: You know damn well that what your child eats has a direct impact on their mental health. This school year, make sure to pack their lunch boxes with food that are rich in vitamin and snacks that are sugar free. Fruits and fresh vegetables are great substitutes and if you child has a healthy lunch box packed for them, they won’t go for unhealthy and sugary treats.
- Mouthguards: Is your child into sports activities? Is he or she active on the playground? If the answer is yes, my advice is to get them a mouthguard to wear when needed to protect their teeth. Mouthguards are a great protection if your child has braces as well.
Last but not least, check with your pediatric dentist for further recommendation and advice and check if there is any especial care or routine that your child needs based on their dental history. Keep your dentist visits in order and make sure to make this new school year a great dental health year for your child. Remember great habits are made during childhood and whatever you teach your child at a young age will serve them during their teenage hood and adulthood.
“To a lifetime of healthy happy smiles!”
So don’t delay your child his first Pediatric dentist visit, at our pediatric dentistry clinic in Dubai health care city you can schedule an appointment, we will be happy to give you your child the best dental care.
“To a lifetime of healthy happy smiles!”